Mars petcare trip
On 25th January 2019, the science department took 15 year 10 and 11 students to Mars Petcare in Melton.
The day consisted of;
- A factory tour to see the entire process of both pouch and canning facility from raw materials to a completed cooked product
- Meeting people from their logistics, technical, development and production teams to understand their role in bringing products to market
- An ‘Apprentice’ style event where students had to design their own product ensuring profit, cost and nutritional contents were all correct. They then had the opportunity to make their product and present it along with their company name to judges
- Listening and speaking to apprentices at the Mars factory, all of whom were ex JFC students from last year or 3 years ago
- An engineering game (tallest tower to hold a marshmallow)
- Award for the best team in the Apprentice activity
Students really enjoyed the day and it opened their eyes a bit to what it’s like to work in business and what apprenticeships can offer them.